What is included with the WordPress Hosting?
Church Social is an tool designed to help churches manage membership information, share resources and communicate better online. Church Social, however, is not a website builder. The app does not provide any tools for building a public church website. There are two reasons for this. First, we feel that we can better serve churches by focusing our energy and resources on building and maintaining an excellent internal tool for churches. The app, after-all, is really what makes us unique and is where we add the most value. The second reason is that there are already many excellent website builders available to churches, many of which are completely free.
While Church Social cannot be used to create a public church website, we understand that many congregations still need assistance in this area. This is exactly why we offer a WordPress hosting service. This service includes the initial installation of a fresh WordPress website as well as the ongoing hosting of it.
We have chosen WordPress because it is an established and powerful content management system with thousands of themes and plugins available for it. WordPress provides a simple control panel, allowing congregations to design and build their website without any programming knowledge. You can read more about WordPress here.
Development not included
This service does not include the actual building or development of the WordPress website. This is the responsibility of the churches themselves. This arrangement works well since it allows us to offer hosting at a low monthly fee while still giving congregations full control over their website content.
While this is a "do it yourself" service, we have done our best to make this an easy process. We have many WordPress related support articles outlining common steps required to create a church website built on WordPress. If you have any questions not covered in these support articles, please email us at [email protected].
Included with our WordPress hosting is the following features:
- A fresh install of the newest version of WordPress
- Choose your own WordPress theme, or pick one of our fully-responsive designs
- Extremely fast Linux based servers using SSD drives
- Enterprise grade DNS hosting
- Free SSL certificates (offered through letsencrypt.org)
- MySQL databases
- Support for PHP 5.4, 5.5, 5.6, 7.0 and 7.1
- Modern security best practices, including automated updates and strict firewall defaults
- Daily backups of all site files, hourly backup of all MySQL databases
- Uptime monitoring (to the minute)
- No hard bandwidth or storage limits (fair use policy)
- HTTP/2 support
- Nginx and Apache setup (for ultimate speed, while also allowing site level configuration via .htaccess)
- Domain name registration included (yourchurch.ca)
- Website statistics included (via Google Analytics)
- Transactional email services (offered via Postmark)
- Custom email forwarders included ([email protected] to [email protected])